We are excited to announce our first apprenticeship program for youth!
This virtual experience is designed for Black girls ages 14-18 who live or attend school in the Triangle area (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Carrboro, or Cary) of North Carolina.
In the summer of 2020, The Beautiful Project launched the campaign Her Testimony to uplift and explore Black women’s experiences of the COVID-19 pandemic. This extension of #HerTestimony explores the experience of Black girls, by positioning Black girls as witnesses, storytellers, and champions of Black girl wellness amidst the pandemic and the social change unfolding in the United States. This apprenticeship provides experience-based education to train Black girls ages 14-18 in The Beautiful Project’s methodology of centering and uplifting the narratives of Black girls and women.
Four apprentices will be selected and trained in storytelling, research, and analysis by Black women mentors. From September to December, apprentices will engage in the following work:
- Investigate the needs of Black girls in the Triangle during the pandemic using virtual research methods such as online interviews and listening sessions
- Analyze their discoveries to identify themes and patterns in Black girls’ experiences
- Create a virtual campaign that provides online resources for Black girls’ emotional and mental wellness
- Live and/or go to school in the Triangle
- Ages 14-18
- Identify as a Black girl/young woman
- Desire to positively impact Black girls through narrative-based work
- Regular access to stable Internet Connection (laptop will be provided if needed)
- September 12- December 12th
- Exposure to Black women in various fields who are committed to centering the voices of Black girls and women
- Mentorship by The Beautiful Project staff and training by guest speakers in storytelling, research, and campaign design
- All apprentices will receive a monetary stipend of $800, distributed monthly
- Apprentices will be provided with temporary laptops to conduct their activities
- Participation in a virtual Orientation on Sept 12th (please confirm you can be available for this mandatory orientation prior to submitting an application)
- Participation in weekly 1.5 hr virtual trainings and workshops from September 12- December 12, 2020
- Weekly bridgework not to exceed 1 hr a week during Sept-October; During November, apprentices will work independently and collectively to develop campaign content
- Working alongside other apprentices to develop a wellness campaign targeting Black girls in November
The Selection Process
This is a rapid selection process, so please pay attention to dates.
- Complete Online Application: View the instructions for the online application here: Her Testimony Youth Apprenticeship Application Instructions. Complete and submit the online application by Friday, August 28th here.
- Submit Letter of Reference: Ask someone to write you a letter of recommendation that shares why you are a good candidate for this apprenticeship. We recommend asking someone who knows you well and has supported or observed your work and/or leadership style, for example a teacher, mentor, coach, or boss. Letters must be signed and sent as a PDF or Microsoft Word by Friday, August 28th to email@example.com.
- Virtual Interviews: If selected, candidates will be invited by email to a 30 minute virtual interview with The Beautiful Project staff during the week of August 31st. This is our chance to learn more about you and figure out if this is the right program for you.
- Final Selection: Selected Apprentices will be informed no later than September 5th.
For more information about The Beautiful Project and the current #HerTestimony Campaign, visit www.thebeautifulproject.org. If you have questions about the apprenticeship program you can:
- Attend a virtual information session on Friday, August 21st at 6:30 PM. Register here.
- Email the Program Director, Erin Stephens, at firstname.lastname@example.org